UNIT VI 200 WORDS EACH, BE SURE TO PUT REFRENCES AFTER EACH QUESTION U ANSWER, NOT ALL ON SAME PAGE.
- Compare and contrast weather and climate and explain how the atmosphere affects both.
- In the picture below, explain why the balloons are rising in terms of atmospheric stability. What effect does water vapor have on atmospheric stability?
- Examine the figures below. Contrast the role the greenhouse effect plays in the atmospheres of (a) the Moon, (b) Earth, and (c) Venus.
- Examine the graph below. In your own words, describe why we see a seasonal difference in CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
- Explain how clouds form. Why is the vertical movement of air critical to the formation of clouds and precipitation? What role do adiabatic temperature changes play in these processes? (Hint: What happens to air pressure with increasing elevation?)
UNIT VII 200 WORDS EACH, BE SURE TO PUT REFRENCES AFTER EACH QUESTION U ANSWER, NOT ALL ON SAME PAGE.
In your own words, explain how wind forms. What two factors cause winds to deviate?
Recall from your reading about air masses to answer: A warm front is predicted to come through your area tomorrow. What weather should you expect?
What type of air mass would you likely find forming in Arizona?
Recall from your reading about air masses, and in your own words, explain what is creating the weather pattern in the this diagram
Compare the characteristics (general weather, movement, etc.) of a cold front to a warm front. Explain why they exhibit different characteristics. What weather would you expect to encounter with each?
UNIT VIII 200 WORDS EACH, BE SURE TO PUT REFRENCES AFTER EACH QUESTION U ANSWER, NOT ALL ON SAME PAGE.
In your own words, briefly describe how a black hole forms.
In your own words, explain why Pluto was “demoted” to a dwarf planet.
In your own words, contrast terrestrial and Jovian planets.
What is the most accurate method to calculate the distance to the stars? What are the limitations of this method? What are some other ways to estimate stellar distances? What unit of measurement is most commonly used to describe the distances between stars and/or galaxies? How does knowing the distance help classify a star?
DQ UNIT VI 200 WORDS
Click here to watch the NASA video Temperature Puzzle. Many people are quick to dismiss global warming after a cold winter or a late summer. After watching the video, how would you respond to this person? Why is it difficult to base climate on a single season’s weather? Use data and examples to support your answer. (Note: please base your discussion on what you have learned from the video and textbook reading. This is NOT meant to be a discussion of political ideology.)
DQ UNIT VII 200 WORDS
When comparing tornadoes and hurricanes, which do you consider more destructive and why? You might compare how they differ in size, speed, predictability, or damage. Have you ever experienced either? Describe your experience.
DQ UNIT VIII 200 WORDS
Top of Form
Part I: It has been stated that we know more about the surface of the moon than we do the oceans. Compare what you have learned in Unit V with this Unit. Do you think, as a nation, we should invest more resources in space exploration or in ocean exploration? Why? Support your answer. Part II: Briefly describe one thing (from discussion boards, assessments, or readings) you learned in this class that will probably stick with you for a long time. Was there a topic that you struggled with?